The report follows a year-long effort to identify newspaper successes in the search for new business models. This report analyzes four such dailies -- the Naples (Fla.) Daily News, the Santa Rosa (Calif.) Press Democrat, the (Salt Lake City) Deseret News, the Columbia (Tenn.) Daily Herald -- whose executives explained, in detail, the motivation and strategy behind their experiments and shared internal data about the results. Their innovations-ranging from sales force restructuring to rebranding the print product to web consulting for local merchants-are generating significant new income.
- North America / United States (Southern) / Florida / Collier County / Naples
- North America / United States (Southern) / Tennessee / Maury County / Columbia
- North America / United States (Western) / California / Sonoma County / Santa Rosa
- North America / United States (Western) / Utah / Salt Lake County / Salt Lake City
- Copyright 2013 Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism.